We get people all the time who come to us saying- we need help with SEO but can’t afford to hire someone! Working with Small Businesses, we understand how budgets can be tight. Building your traffic organically can be time consuming, but it doesn’t have to cost a lot. We have a few tips you can use to help boost your site’s search engine rankings all on your own.
1. Images– Your images should be saved properly. One of the easiest things you can do is save the images on your website and include keywords to help describe the image. Since search engine spiders can’t tell what an image is, this helps to tell them what the picture is about and how it relates to your site. Try saving that image of your storefront titled: “img01.jpg” to “chicago-pet-food-store.jpg” instead. Try to use your keywords in the title, but make sure you’re still accurately describing the picture.
2. Links– One of the most important factors Google and other search engines take into consideration is the links that point back to your site. These links should be of high quality and be from websites that are related to your business. So ask your colleagues to give you a link to your website from theirs- and you can return the favor if you’d like.
3. BLOG!– We’ve said it before and we’ll keep saying it. Your site needs a blog. The more you blog, the more fresh content you are putting on your website. We can help you get a blog installed on your website and even teach you how to use it most effectively for SEO. It’s not that hard, and is well worth the little amount of time it takes.
4. Socialize– Twitter, Google +, Facebook and other social media sites like Pinterest are really important to search engines. Having active social networking accounts can help show you put the effort in to help promote your company- and search engines like to see that! Plus setting these up are all FREE!
5. Update your site– The more you update the content on your site, the better. Websites with fresh content that are updated frequently tend to rank higher in search engines than those that aren’t. So in addition to your blogging, don’t forget to update the rest of your website!
There’s a lot to a successful SEO campaign, but little things like these can make a real difference when it comes to how your site gets indexed by search engines. The most important thing to keep in mind is to remember that SEO takes time, and a lot of effort, so take the time to network, blog and socialize and your website will be rewarded for it in the long run.
How does your site rank on Google? What have you done to improve it? Your website content has so much to do with how Google, Yahoo and Bing index it and display it in search results. Your content should contain your top keywords as well as links to various parts of your site. It’s also important to make sure each page has the appropriate keywords, titles and descriptions. While your visitors won’t usually notice things like this, a search engine will.
Aside from On-Page Optimization, your site needs to have the right links coming back to it. Quality over quantity is very important here. Remember to gain links from higher PR sites. Getting vendors and clients to link back to your website is always a good tool when done properly.